Forthcoming in August 2010

This is the inaugural post of a monthly series rounding up forthcoming works by SF Canada members. In August 2010, look for …

Potential New SF on CBC Radio

Matt Watts, Greg DeClute and Joe Mahoney have completed production of a half hour pilot for a proposed new science fiction radio play series on CBC Radio called “Nightsoil: Into the Beyond of the Future of Tomorrow.”

If accepted by CBC Radio’s programming department, Nightsoil would continue the new wave of science fiction comedy begun in 2005 on CBC Radio by Matt and Joe with Steve the First, Steve the Second, and later Canadia:2056 (with Greg DeClute).

In the future, 98% of the world’s population live in a computer simulation called Next Life.  The other 2%, stuck in the real world, spend their miserable lives looking after the inhabitants of Next Life.  Nightsoil is the story of one man’s dream of entering the wondrous world of Next Life, reuniting with his childhood sweetheart, and living happily ever after.

If only Next Life were that easy…

Consistently funny, sometimes serious, yet always entertaining, Nightsoil: Into the Beyond of the Future of Tomorrow has everything: relevancy, mass appeal, and perhaps most importantly, a really long title.


SF Canada AGM

SF Canada held its annual general meeting on May 8th, 2010.  Members of the board and other important volunteers for the coming year are as follows:

Board of Directors: Edward Willett (President), Steve Stanton (Vice-President), Sherry Ramsey (Secretary-Treasurer)

Members-at-Large: Jean-Louis Trudel, Lynda Williams, Leslie Carmichael, Diane Walton

Auditors: Diane Walton, Lorina Stephens

Membership Committee: Joe Mahoney, Robert Runte, Steve Stanton, Colleen Anderson, Candas Jane Dorsey

Website Administrator: Sherry Ramsey

Administrative Assistant: Steve Stanton

Thanks to everyone who attended and to everyone who offered their time and expertise in the past year, and welcome or welcome back to those who will be serving the association over the coming year.

Drowned City Press Launches Second Childhood

Drowned City Press has reprinted Donna McMahon’s novel Dance of Knives and is launching her long awaited sequel, Second ChildhoodDance of Knives is a post apocalyptic adventure story set in 22nd century Vancouver. The NY Times called it “a technologically aware and emotionally wrenching twist on the old tale of Beauty and the Beast.”

In McMahon’s sequel, the action moves north to Cortes Island, a natural jewel in the inland sea. Author Eileen Kernaghan says:  “This is a writer who knows her science; but clearly, too, she has a close and loving relationship with the west coast landscape. At its heart, Second Childhood is a story of redemption, and the healing power of the natural world.”

There will be a Second Childhood book launch in Vancouver on Saturday, May 15 from 3-5 pm at the Lifestyles Cafe in City Square (12th and Cambie). (Please note that this has been rescheduled.)

More information about the books is available at

danceofknives  secondchildhood

Michèle Laframboise book finalist at the GG!

LesventsdeTammerlanLes vents de Tammerlan, the second tome of Michèle Laframboise’s Chaaas’ cycle, is now a finalist of the General Governor’s literary Awards in the children’s literature category.

“This captivating novel by Michèle Laframboise strays from the well-worn paths of science fiction. While conserving the essential elements of the genre, the author’s subtle, at times poetic, prose creates moving and colourful images and gives life to complex, lovable characters. “

Says Michèle, “It is a small victory for my story and my paper children, and a larger victory for science-fiction, now recognized as a full flavour of the literary ice cream!”

Here’s an article by the Mississauga News.